Value Statement

Passionate - Creative - Personal - Unique

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Regrets & thankfulness

Oh dear....forgive me as it's been a long time since my last confession.... ;)
Much has happened & I can't be certain that it wasn't from those Grumpy Lambs in my last post.
Got busy - got sick - have been in hospital twice, including 2 different hospitals inside a week. My health is still not great but I'm feeling a bit cranky today about that. From my point of view cranky energy is energy so lets just go with that.....
OK....that's the regrets ticked off the list!
Now the thankfulness.........
I've expended SO MANY tears in the last 2 weeks! Those damn tears are continuing to have a mind of their own I'm afraid. This beautiful photo is one reason for many of the tears this week! After a week in hospital after an emergency ambulance ride, & not being able to contact some of my students (who turned up to an empty house much to my distress!), I've been overwhelmed by the kindness, support & simple joy shared with me at getting back to normal.
I arrived home in my nightie & dressing gown (apparently witnessed by Miss R & Miss M as they were turning up for ballet over the road at Hype) & found in my letterbox a lovely card with a freddo frog inside from a friend.
In my letterbox next was a beautiful card from Miss J, her mum, sister & Lilly the dog.
The next day I got home from a day of doctors feeling exhausted to find another card under my front door with cash inside from Mrs J (who is the most special lady). I can't say how teary that made me since being sick = a lack of $! Also her special message & offer of help was just so beautiful!
On Monday Miss K (aged just 6) arrived shy & teary with beautiful flowers in her hand for me. Mummy carried her in to the piano like she had last year during the first few lessons when she was excited but shy. After I shared my 'secret chocolate' in the non-descript sugar basin with lid (a strategy to get me through 4 hours of teaching but camouflaged so I wouldn't be sprung) & we briefly discussed the best thing that had happened at school that day (during which she popped that little square of chocolate in her mouth & started to smile & chat like she normally does) things improved & she excitedly showed me her favourite song - 'A Little Boogie'.
Big sister Miss S presented me with the beautiful smiley faced balloon which you can see on top of my piano. She was excited to share what she'd also been working on at the piano in my absence! I'm SO PROUD of Miss S because she's working SO hard at 'keeping trying' & 'being brave' when things look a bit tricky. We are getting better at recognising repeating patterns in the music, or identifying how far the notes are apart.
Miss C (aged 14) arrived with a 'how are you feeling now?' which was just so special. She again apologised for not practising as much as she'd like due to school commitments but Miss C is one of those girls like me who tend to not see our glass half full sometimes....  ;)
Miss S (aged 14) came & wanted to 'mix things up' with an Adele song. I'm happy to accomodate as she's learning & progressing well even though we can never focus long enough to complete a whole song yet (LOL). I'm pretty sure it will happen some time. Her advice for me re my nightmares after a bad experience in hospital was to tell the protagonist in my dream 'oim gonna sik a ninja on yaw airse!'. She made me practise saying it (LOL) & kept telling me to try again as I still couldn't master the stance & accent!!!
Miss A came with mummy & both were very special about making sure I was OK. Mrs K said I was to phone her anytime I wasn't OK. Miss A was VERY excited about getting 100 points for every time she practised her scales at home during the week! She is such a very special little girl!!
Mrs M helped me to laugh as I do with adult students.
Mrs L was SO special about being flexible with her lesson on Wednesday! I was so appreciative!
Ah...then Miss R & Miss M arrived skipping up to my front door so excitedly! Miss M had a little present in a pink chinese bag with bling. Inside were a packet of chocolates & a collection of letters & drawings all full of special little messages to me, including 'glad you are back. I love you.', 'you wood Mis me a Lot. you Love we Sheren. you Mis me.' & finally 'I mist you a Lot. I foundede uot that you have gorn uot of hospool. I hop you don't get sick agen. Love from Mia'. Miss R had to play me 'Mary had a Little Lamb' on her flute except she didn't know how to do the end yet. LOL She was so excited to learn some more of the cha cha we are working on!
Miss A (aged 5) told me my breath stunk (I'd just had my first peanut butter sandwich in over 2 weeks!!!) whilst holding her nose. LOL We contracted that she'd play a song for me whilst I went to have a mouthwash.
Master A ran inside my door & started playing his scales & tallying up each 100 points whilst I was still speaking with mum on the verandah. He'd tallied 2 200 points by the time I came inside. He wanted 'something new that was harder'. We decided to re-contract his Term Goal (which had been Summertime from Porgy & Bess) to be forward in his lesson book up to 'Crispy Chips'. He thought that was 'realistic'.
Master M followed with quiet pleasure & great excitement over his tallies for scales practice over the 2 weeks.  Whilst he'd marked the tallying strokes he was unsure whether he had to count in 5's or 100's. We decided to count in 5's then times that number by 100. He hadn't done x 100 at school yet, but we learnt to put two zeros on the end of the number for the number of points. LOL SO sweet!!!  By the end of his lesson Master M had amounted 20 000 points!!!  Truly an AMAZING effort & he deserved every point! I can't see when that score will be passed again by anyone - it was just one out of the box!!!
Miss J came next very quietly but with excitement. She was really excited to have earnt 2 squares of the rocket chart!
Mrs M returned for another lesson saying that 'she was OK now' - meaning moving her hands from position C to position G was no longer a complete confusion.
On Friday sweet Miss E arrived. With her normal quiet cautious confidence she played her little songs & was pleased to earn another 2 squares on the rocket chart. She's quietly developing & I'm really pleased to hear that she thinks she can teach mummy a few things on the piano, including when to play a 'sh'.
Miss U-C arrived happily & full of energy. With a little encouragement she managed to accomplish playing ALL her songs in the lesson book with the CD accompaniment on 'performance tempo'! I was SO proud of her as she was of herself! With time this little lady will be a good piano player, as will many of my other little ones if they stick at it.
So....my first full week after getting out of hospital is now complete. I feel fortunate & I feel loved. All of the cards, messages, drawings, flowers, balloon & gifts have helped my spirit to begin to heal. Thank you.
Thus....this post ends with thankfulness.....  xxxxx

2 comments:

  1. You have so many people who care about you Sharon. We're so happy you're back at home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Francesca! I'm so fortunate to have you & your little ladies in my life! It's a highlight of my weeks. <3

    ReplyDelete