Value Statement

Passionate - Creative - Personal - Unique

Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Piano Practice

There's no getting around the fact that finding time to do some piano practice is difficult. There's always something better or more important to do. It seems like just another chore. Like 'self-care' piano practise just needs to be a planned task!  There's the sermon over with!

One of the things that I'm learning at my piano practice is a Bach Fugue (Nr 23 in Book 1 of his Well Tempered Clavier, in B Major). I'm playing both the Prelude & Fugue & it's a 'head scratcher' at times! It seems like everytime I go to my piano lesson my teacher gets me to change the fingering of the Fugue again. This time she's photocopied another edition with different fingering for me to compare & work out what's best. Ordinarily I'd be frustrated by all these changes & the seemingly drawn-out process of learning the Fugue. However this time I'm finding it exciting! All this working out of fingering is actually making it easier to get through all the notes.

With this Fugue in 4 voices, & notes just everywhere, it's really hard to accomplish the finger gymnastics required. But, with the help of all this experimentation, I'm actually finding that I'm ploughing through it quicker! It gives me such a nice sense of achievement & with that the excitement of getting there finally! And I just LOVE the sound of this Prelude & Fugue!!  It's so melodic - so beautiful to listen to.

So when I actually get to sit down & practise I'm hooked!  Can't stop - it gets me IN!  LOVE the feeling of LOVING PRACTISING!!  Speaking of practising......think I'll just do some right now.....in my pyjamas.....   :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment